Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Village of Navarre
The Friendly Home Town at the Bend of the River

The Mathews Home
     The Mathews's home was built by Joseph Mathews in 1836.  Mr. Mathews and his family of seven children came from Bristol, England.  the bricks in the home were probably produced at the building site by combining straw with clay and firing them in an over-kiln built for this purpose.  It was constructed with a native sandstone foundation the architectures considered vernacular with Greek Revival elements, such as the transom and entablature above the front door.  A frame kitchen addition was added to the rear of the home at a later date.  An herb garden and foundation planting has been provided by the Navarre Garden Club.  the restored Mathews' Home is owned and operated by the Navarre-Bethlehem Township Historical Society